2.20.2011

i can see your underwear







Today's goal is to get all my homework done & clean the house; here is my getting down to business outfit. SA Thrift plaid: trip to Salvation Army; navy silk Obakki tank, American Apparel spandex, H&M leg warmers from when I was obsessing over socks & hoisery, Urban Outfitters $6 beanie.

Seeing my hair like this makes me want to chop it ALL off & go short... Recently this urge has just been growing. I want to grow my hair out long too, though!!



After much recommendation from Lisa, my illustrations teacher and design mentor, I paid a visit to the i can see your underwear exhibit going on right now at Center A: Vancouver International Center for Contemporary Asian Art, along with my usual Friday after school safety-meeting homie K (ha ha). Walking into the vast open space, there were quite a few spectacular set ups. The medium of most pieces were mainly plastic, including the main piece, a swing suspended all the way up to the ceiling with crocheted bits of plastic crawling all over it and strong Rococo influences, and a massive orange-and-cyan 'chandelier' made of freezie pops. 




The artworks were strongly inspiring, hauntingly powerful with a loud voice behind a glass wall type of feel. Didn't have my camera with me, but I may very well return and capture some of the pieces 


On our way there, we stopped in on a different gallery along W. Hastings street, very close to Cambie. It was a small exhibit of a project done by several downtown east side artists, where they had to do one drawing a day for a month. Definitely saw some intriguing pieces of artwork there. Both our favourites was a mural-like piece that was done on individual squares of paper as the days of the month went by, in a what I'd like to call 'linear' style. And by linear i mean done with lots of lines. 


Considered stopping in at the Ayden Gallery in Tinseltown that night for the gallery opening of the Toms collaboration show, but I never managed to make it back downtown. Could've hit up Fortune Sound Club in Chinatown for the free after party!! 




While Brother was getting a haircut, the nice manager of Hair Zone offered me a free manicure with the student doing her practical!  I'd already been eyeing the new OPI Black Shatter polish they had sitting on their counter and it's pretty sweeeeeet.




O.P.I. Black Shatter

No comments:

Post a Comment